Monday, May 6, 2013

Stepping Up, Taking a Risk & Trying Something New







Today was foot painting day in the four's class. One of our goals is to teach children to step a little out of their comfort zone and try something new. Many are apprehensive when this type of art is first suggested and I always allow those who are fearful to opt out. If children are hesitant I ask them to sit and watch first. After watching for a minute they invariably jump right in.

The children take off their shoes and socks and sit in a chair. Next comes the paint. As I paint their cute little toes I tell them their foot prints were also taken on the day they were born. We wonder about how much their feet have grown since then.






As the squishy paint is applied we talk about how it feels. Many of them giggle and squirm at the sensation of the paint adding to the fun. Who wouldn't love to have purple feet?






After we make a print of their feet to take home they add their piggies to the class mural.





Next comes a soothing warm-water foot bath complete with bubbles!






After painting about 12 adorable pairs of feet this morning the class insisted that I try it too. In all the years I've done this project I have never tried it myself. They were excited to grab a paint brush and take turns painting my badly-in-need-of-a-pedicure feet a beautiful shade of yellow. Next my sweet little friends held my hand as I walked across the paper and they gently helped me into the chair for the foot bath.

"Wasn't that fun?" they asked. "You thought you wouldn't like it but when you tried it you did!" one little guy told me.

How interesting that the concept I was trying to teach; taking a risk and trying something new, is exactly what my four-year-olds taught me today!




Cheryl Hoover has been the Director of Northampton Christian Preschool since 1995.

1 comment:

  1. Látogass el oldalunkra és olyan extrákat mutatunk, amivel igazán különlegessé teheted az ajándékozást! Élőszereplős ajándékozás, kirobbanó doboz és a többi https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/members/32037-elmenybox79.html.


    ReplyDelete